Monday, November 24, 2008

Baskets and Bags.

Leaving projects laying around is a huge no-no with a dog and a cat running around the house. My two especially love getting tangled up in yarn and thread. Easier access to projects means more get completed, so this situation doesn't work very well for me. Although probably healthier, I don't want to run up and down the stairs every time I want to knit a few rows or stitch for a few minutes. I've seen these clever baskets with fabric sewn on top to keep things safe inside, in several magazines and around many craft blogs. I thought this would be a perfect solution, so I made up a couple myself.

I like the knit Ikea baskets for this project because of their flexibility. They can also be stored easily when not in use. The fabric I used for the larger basket is from Erin McMorris' Park Slope collection, and the fabric on the smaller is a corduroy print from good-ness.

I made up the larger basket a while ago, and it has worked out great. It's the perfect size for my knitting and supplies! I added some handles for easy toting, and they have been very useful for when I've wanted to take my knitting out and about with me.

I decided to line the smaller basket since I didn't bother with the larger one. I used a pink and white stripe cotton, although it really just looks white in the picture. It was a huge pain to get the lining to match up with the outer fabric, and to get the hand-sewn stitches to look half decent on both sides. I'm not sure I'd bother lining one of these again. I think that double sided fabric I love so much might be a good choice for next time.

I finished up another project earlier today. This one being a tote bag for my mom to use for the extra books and reports she lugs to school. She's a grade one teacher, and I wanted something fun that was still appropriate for work.

I used another corduroy fabric from good-ness. You would not believe how soft this fabric is! The big polka-dots add some fun while still being a bit subtle, and she just loves them.

The lining is made from some fabric I found at one of the Church Bazaars I went to earlier this month. It's a darker pink so it isn't too bright, but it adds some colour to it. The polka-dots are still my favourite part though!

It was definitely a busy day for crafting.

2 comments:

Vonlipi said...

Wow you are definitely one of the handiest persons I know! You did all that in one day? I am AMAZED!!!

I am a big fan! :-)

Nikki said...

Thank you :)

The bigger basket was done a while ago though, the other two were made in one day. My University is on strike, so I have a lot of time on my hands lately.