Saturday, November 29, 2008

Keys.

My grandmother used these old fashioned keys up until the day she died in 1999. As a young girl I always thought they were very odd, but interesting. Different. I had never seen anyone else use these long skinny keys for their homes. Later on I learned this was because she had never changed the locks on her doors since she purchased her home in the 1930s.

After my grandmother passed away, I put the key she carried with her on a ribbon, and wore it around my neck. It was something of hers I could always keep with me, and it made me remember her. Maybe a strange artifact to remember someone by, but it had meaning to me.

Although it was a simple necklace, if you could even call it that, I got a lot of compliments on it, and many requests for one. I could never part with my own of course, but when I'd come across interesting old keys at flea markets or antique shows I'd purchase them to give to friends.

They did not have the same sentimental value, but it was fun to think of who might have owned each key. Who where they? Where did they live? What did they do? If not a house key, what did it open? A great opportunity for story telling and creativity.

There is something very special about these old keys.

Available in my shop.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Benefits of Marigold Farmer Mites
Royal1688 Our website says that marigolds can be propagated by using fast growing grains like good drainage loam. Moisture and moderate sunlight is in the biennial plant, about 365 days old stem of Marigold. The height of not more than 1 meter, the branches are very green trunk, strong smell of marigold. The leaf is a feather-like pattern. The leaves are subtle leaves of the marigolds. The flower is a single yellow-orange flowers are large, stacked in a circle. The petal is a sawtooth. Have pollen stacked. Effects of Marigold When the dried marigold flowers will result in the end of the fruit. Marigold plant has many herbal properties and can be used in all parts. The flowers of Marigold. Have a bitter taste as a cold medicine. Nourish the blood to help relieve dizziness, nourish the eye pain, eye irritation, mumps, cure mumps, cough, chronic cough, pain relief, cure mouth, as an analgesic, bronchitis. Respiratory tract infection, help drive the wind, help drive parasite leaves. Can be used to cure diabetic theft, pneumothorax, decay Helps heal ulcers. Root of Marigold A bitter taste as a cold medicine as a laxative to control the inflammatory disease, and the early use of calendula, fever, cough, sore throat, stomach ulcer treatment. Thanks for the article. Royal1688