Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Crafting..

But just a little.
I had plans for many beautiful homemade for Christmas projects this year. It seems I always do. December rolled around and I was so busy with life that I barely had time to breathe let alone craft. Usually my Christmas making/shopping is finished by December 1st, but this year I didn't get started until two weeks after then. I had decided that when my break from school came I would spend a few days relaxing and crafting some of those many Christmas Projects. Maybe even that Ice Skating Afternoon Alicia Paulson kit I've had sitting in my stash for the past two years. Unfortunately the flu knocked me out and those plans were put on hold yet again. It's now the day before Christmas Eve, and I've finally managed to bust out two very simple, but much needed, craft projects.

The first is a little stocking for my dear sweet girls. Pets need stockings too! I had planned on a matching pair for Lola and Charlie and two smaller ones for Rory and Lenore, but one was all I could manage this year. It hangs funny (I'm thinking I should go back and shorten that toe!) and it's a bit lumpy, but I really kind of love it. And that mouse popping up over the top...how cute is that? That little mouse is Charlie's Christmas present this year.

The fleece is from an old sweater I loved dearly for many years but had to let go of after it was singed in an unfortunate dryer incident. I kept it around for the perfect crafting opportunity, which I try not to do too often. I love the ice blue colour. I appliqued a sweet little snow girl cut out from some Christmas fabric (Colorful Christmas by My Mind's Eye for Riley Blake Designs) I bought earlier in the Fall, embroidered some snowflakes with silver thread, and added my favourite pom-pom trim. That stuff makes everything so much better!

The other project was this little thread spool wreath. I saw a mini-version in Michael's a while back, but for $8 I thought reaching into that bag of wooden spools I bought at an antique fair a while back would be the more sensible thing to do. I used some fabric scraps in red and green to wrap around them, and didn't worry about finishing the edges. I added some beads from my stash so the spools wouldn't sit funny against each other. Tiny red rick-rack for hanging, and it was done!

There is one more project I'm hoping to squeeze in before Christmas is through. This one involves a trip to the craft store for some red felt, so it may not happen this year.

No comments: