Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Rainy Day Project

It's been raining all day today, cleansing and nourishing. I looked outside earlier and noticed the heavy drops were causing the delicate cherry blossoms to fall off my neighbour's tree. It almost looked like it was snowing, and covered his roof and lawn with white petals. Despite the fake snow, it finally feels like Spring.

With most of the boxes from the move being cleared, I pulled out my sewing machine for the first time in a long while. I pulled pieces of fabric from the scrap pack I ordered from Jeni's Destash, and put together a Mug Rug. This is a project I've had on my list for a long while. They are so cute and something I'd use all the time.

Something was pulling at me to take a picture pre-binding, and I wish I had listened to those instincts. I really do like it much better this way. Adding the binding did give me some much needed practice though. I always end up with at least one layer outside of the binding, so I tried serging around the edge this time. It worked perfectly and actually saved the time I would spend ripping out seams, wrapping edges, and re-sewing them over and over again. On this project the layers were what you see here, some cotton batting in the middle, and the grey-ish fabric for the backing.


The perfect place to rest my mug!

No comments: