Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Quilt Therapy



At this point in our infertility journey, there is a lot of discomfort and pain along with a lot of waiting. Distractions are very welcomed, especially when the pain management I am allowed to use does not do much to help. Lately I havve been finding comfort and relief in parts of the crafting process I normally find to be quite tedious - ironing, tracing, cutting, hand stitching. I love picking out fabric and I love putting projects together, but the parts inbetween are really not my favourite.


For now, the repetition, handwork, and 'slowness' is therapeutic, and so I chose to start a project that would provide lots of it - a hexagon quilt. I have seen many hexagon quilts around and have always loved them, but the amount of work and time involved always scared me away. Not anymore!


I'm using three inch hexagons, so I imagine this will be a very time consuming project, but that`s okay. It`s the process here that is the important part. The finished product will be the icing on the cake. 


Right now, I am turning something difficult into something beauitful. Pain and discomfort into something productive. A type of art therapy. It is not a perfect solution, but it does help when I have the time to sit down and craft.

I am hoping that we come to the end of our journey long before I am able to finish it.

No comments: