Friday, June 29, 2012

Berry Picking & Exploring

This morning my Janney picked me up and we drove out to one of my favourite areas to visit a little family run farm. It's the very end of strawberry season, and with the town's Strawberry Festival coming up we decided we better get out there before it was too late.

We grow our own strawberries at home, both in baskets and in the ground, but there are really only enough for snacking. Going berry picking gives us enough to re-build our freezer stash (for smoothies, recipes where frozen berries work, and late night snacks), make a couple treats (I'm thinking jam, ice cream, and strawberry lemonade this year), and share with friends. Of course there is some snacking too.


This was the first time we visited this farm, but I think we will be returning next year. The berries are small, but sweet!



It wasn't too busy, so we were able to fill our baskets fairly quickly. We really enjoyed being there, but the 32 degree celcius heat (that's 90 fahrenheit) was a little overwhelming.

Yum!
After stopping for iced coffees, we made our way across the city to one of Janet's favourite places. This was my very first time visiting. I've lived in this city all my life, but there are always new places to explore. We've made it a summer goal of ours to explore more areas of this city.

This amazing view belongs to the Scarborough Bluffs.


There is a beautiful garden to explore, so we took the opportunity to look around and snap some photos.




After returning home I divided up the strawberries and put a few bags into the freezer. I know they will be much appreciated in those winter months when local produce isn't available and the imported stuff is pricey.


Do you have any favourite strawberry recipes to share?

No comments: