Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Vintage Sheet Quilt

You got a sneak peek of this project in my last post.

























A while back I received several vintage sheet fat quarters from a friend. I had intended to start an Oh My Stars quilt using them, but I kept putting it off because I knew it would be a big project and I have several of those on the go already. A few days ago I was craving and quick and simple project, so I decided to dip into that stack.

Using a queen sized vintage flat sheet as a backing and a thin cotton batting in the middle, I made an easy patchwork quilt. It's the perfect weight for warm nights, and is just thin enough that it's easy to roll up and take along for picnics.

























I only used 20 squares total for the quilt top. To keep things simple, I didn't use any binding. I just stitched wrong sides together with the lining on top, flipped it right side out, and closed up the hole with an invisible stitch (or blind stitch). I also didn't do any actual quilting. I tied pieces of yarn through the layers at each corner to help keep things together. In total it took about three hours from start to finish. Cutting and laying everything out was what took the most time.

I'm still planning on making an Oh My Stars quilt, but it may have to wait a while longer.


















We got to test this quilt out this past weekend at the Westie Walk, and we just loved it! It was the perfect size for everyone to sit on during our picnic (my parents come to the walk with us so they can participate in all the events with Lola while I'm running around and snapping pictures) and the perfect size for two to lay down on and stare up at the clouds. Well, if everyone is willing to share that is!

















Lola also approves, which probably means this will be another quilt claimed by her and Charlie.

















Aside from the fat quarters I had, the rest were cut from vintage sheets found at thrift shops. If you have trouble finding the perfect sheets, there are many options on Etsy. I sell full sheets in my shop, which work great if you want to keep to a few patterns. For fat quarters, my favourites are thought and found, vintage sheet variety, ironsea, and happy notions. If you do a search, there are many more shops with beautiful sheets to be found.

Even though the weather is shifting, I'm hoping we can get several more picnics using this quilt in before the end of the season!

1 comment:

Benny said...

With the help of fake watches like they at this moment referred to, distributed rampantly in the marketplace, revealing some counterfeit follow is necessary to check you could be buying good quality wristwatch. Refraining because of hublot replica uk is not that complex should the right security precautions are actually applied. From a instant glance, they will often take a look good quality, and yet supplementing with closer take a look not to mention complete tag heuer replica sale you will discover typically the improvement. Graceful labels that accompany high-priced tickets tend to be digs up from counterfeiters. When considering rolex replica sale a particular conspicuous detail who fakers simply cannot identically replica because of a different might be her heaviness. Due to the fact counterfeit looks after are created from low-cost not to mention lesser fabrics. Typically the consistent sprinting tool of this proper follow will make certainly no hearable sensible. You can actually habits an interesting try out from reducing numerous the water at the crystal covering of this follow. The tank definitely will bead every single other concerning good quality rolex replica sale whilst the counterfeit the one which takes advantage of sunglasses will simply get spread around finished.