Monday, September 30, 2013

A is for Apple

































Have I ever mentioned how much I love Fall? I really, really do. I'm a sucker for a fun Fall outing, and apple picking is one of the classics. On Saturday I convinced Jer that we needed to go. Unfortunately for us, about 80,000 other city dwellers had the same idea.































The parking lots were full and cars were parked up and down the road for at least a km. Don't get me wrong, apple picking is a lot of fun, but never in my life have I seen an apple orchard actually crowded. I don't know what it is about this year. We made the drive, so we decided to join the cars and take a nice walk to the orchard.

































I chose this specific orchard for one reason..HONEY CRISPS. The most delicious apple of all the apples! Sadly, those delicious honeys were at the far end of the property and the line for the wagon ride to get out there was ridiculous. Josh was comfy in his baby hawk, but I wasn't sure he'd last that long, and oh, the crowds! We decided to forget the $10 per person admission fee and buy a bag of apples in the ready picked shop.

It still counts, right? I really wanted to keep one of the baskets, but they weren't for sale. After purchasing our bag of apples, I took some pictures over the fence so we could at least pretend we had the orchard experience.

Next time we go during the week, on a crappy day. Eventually, we plant our own apple trees and skip the crowds all together. At least this boy is too young to be disappointed with our change of plans!

We finished up the experience with some Fall baking (ok, that was really just me). I love that apples & cinnamon baking smell!

I grew up with one of these contraptions in my kitchen, and found one for myself at a thrift shop several months back. If you don't have one, you need one. If you have one, you know what I'm talking about. No more chopping. You've never had so much fun with apples in your life!

































Apple slinkies! Harder varieties will produce more epic slinkies. The Honey Crisps kept breaking.

Usually I'd go for a pie, but I don't like the crust so I decided to make an apple crisp instead, and it was good. I used this recipe. If you're using sweeter apples, cut back on the sugar. Serve it warm. Add vanilla ice cream if you're feeling extra decadent. Of course eating the apples right out of the bag is always good too, and that's what we'll do with the rest of them.

If you enjoy a challenge, make sure you bake when you're home alone with the baby who will definitely need to be held as soon as you're halfway through slicing up your apples (leave your wrap in the car that is out with your husband). For added fun, make sure you drop as much as possible on the floor so you have to shoo the dog and cat away with your foot while trying to finish what you're doing. One handed, one footed baking! It's really fun, I promise. These guys really do make life much more interesting, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: