Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Crafting

































I had thought it would be impossible to do much crafting with a new baby, but the opposite has been true. Every time he's not in my arms and there isn't something that desperately needs to be done, I find a project in my hands. I have just had this need to make and create. When he needs a break, the husband plays guitar or a video game, this is just my thing I guess. I kind of love it.

Here is what has been made recently..

































The ladies needed new fleecey tubes, so they got a pair with a cute heart print that I picked up the last time the fabric shop was having a sale. I was able to make two in one nap period since they are so quick. The ladies love taking naps in these.

I finished up Birdie's adorable whale sweater. Even though I tested the gauge on this one, I think I was off a little since it is huge. I made the 0-3 month size. Hopefully it'll fit him by the Spring, or maybe even next Fall!

This was my first time knitting images into a project. It really wasn't as difficult as I had thought, although making sure to carry the yarn along and twist it in was a little annoying. The anchor buttons are vintage and came from my stash. I have a bit of a button problem. When I see a bag of vintage buttons at the thrift shop, it usually comes home with me even though I have way too many, and may have promised Jer I'd stop bringing home more. The great thing about it is that I can usually match buttons that are missing from vintage clothing, and there are always some to go with my craft projects (that's me trying to justify it!), but there are way too many.


We have tons of what are essentially butt wipes (for baby). My favourites are a set I ordered that are cotton velour on one side and cotton or jersey on the other. I have the dozen I ordered, plus a few hand me downs from a friend. I like that they're really soft and also a bit thicker, and would always reach for those first.

I had some cotton velour that was another left over from my failed attempt at cloth diapers (I am so regretting that one), so I paired that with some cute cotton prints and made up a bunch of my own. This is a great stash/scrap busting project since you can make these any size you like. I don't have a serger, so I just zig zag stitched around the edges and added an extra seam. I probably could have spent a bit more time on them and turned them, but I don't mind the unfinished look.  It may be silly to spend time on something that will end up cleaned up poop, but I like cute.

































I also knit up this little gnomey hat for Josh. Can you see a theme in my crafting? It was super quick and cute. The only thing I don't like is that it's not tapered towards the bottom of his head so it sticks out a bit in the back. Making a bigger size may have fixed that.

































The yarn I used for this is Luna Grey Fiber Arts in the mushroom colourway, and is an absolute dream to work with. So soft! It is my new favourite by far.

I have no idea what to work on next. So many ideas!